The missionary and
Harvard-trained physician Rev. Dwight Baldwin of Durham,
Conn., and his bride of a few weeks sailed from New
England for Hawaii in 1830. After first serving
in Waimea, he was assigned as pastor of Lahaina's
old Wainee Church. The Baldwins moved into their
home in 1838 and lived there until 1871.
Built in 1834, the
Baldwin home is the oldest standing building in Lahaina.
It was built with thick walls of coral, stone and
hand-hewn timbers. The addition of a bedroom
and study in 1840 and a second story in 1849 accommodated
six children. The Baldwin home served as a
medical office and as a center for missionary activity.
Dr. Baldwin received members of the royal court, ships'
captains, consuls and weary travelers.
The home has been
faithfully restored by the Lahaina Restoration Foundation
and is open daily as a museum. It presents a
vivid picture of the life of a missionary, physician
and community force.
Next door is the site
of the Richards House.
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People