When a law was passed
forbidding local women from swimming out to greet
ships, incensed whalers fired cannon at the missionary
compound and at the Rev. Richards' home. As
a result, a fort was built on the waterfront in the
years 1831 32.
The fort was constructed
of coral blocks, hacked and sawed by hand from the
reef outside the beach. It covered a 1-acre
area and was enclosed by 20-foot walls. As
a deterrent to outlandish behavior, cannon raised
from the wreck of a warship in Honolulu Harbor circa
1816 were brought to Lahaina and mounted in approximately
the spot where they sit today in the harbor.
Across the street is
the site of the Canal.
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People