faced print is reproduced from the Lahaina Historical
Guide with permission from the publisher. Copyright
1998, Honolulu Publishing
Company, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Free copies of the Lahaina Historical Guide are
available throughout Lahaina Town and the K�`anapali resorts.
Wainee Church was the
first stone church in the Islands. Built between 1828
and 1832 for the Protestant mission by Hawaiians, under
the direction of their chiefs, it could seat 3,000-packed
together on the floor-and had calabash spittoons
for tobacco-chewing chiefs and ships' masters.
Wainee was immortalized by Michener in Hawaii
as the church that just wouldn't stand-a justly
deserved reputation. In 1858 a Kauaula Valley whirlwind
unroofed the church and blew down the belfry; the
bell, once described as "none too sonorous,"
fell 100 feet but was undamaged. In 1894 royalists
protesting the annexation of Hawaii by the United
States burned the church. Rebuilt, it burned down
again in 1947, was rebuilt, and was demolished by
another Kauaula windstorm in 1951.
When the church was rebuilt after the 1951 windstorm,
the front door was positioned to face the mighty Kauaula
Valley, instead of being at a right angle to the West
Maui Mountains. The structure is still standing.
At its dedication in 1953, the church was renamed
Waiola, meaning water of life. The ridge of palms
on the ocean side is among Lahaina's oldest.
Adjacent to the church
is Waine`e Cemetary.
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People
Graphics used on this page courtesy
OhanaNet Corporation. All rights reserved.