faced print is reproduced from the Lahaina Historical
Guide with permission from the publisher. Copyright
1998, Honolulu Publishing
Company, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Free copies of the Lahaina Historical Guide are
available throughout Lahaina Town and the K�`anapali resorts.
The "House of
Love," was built by Hawaiian Protestants in "commemoration
of God's causing Lahaina to escape the smallpox, while
it desolated Oahu in 1853, carrying off 5,0006,000
of its population." Completed in 1858, it was
used as a church and school, but by the early 1900s
it fell into ruins. Maui County restored the structure
Next is the Buddhist
Church of the Shingnon Sect.
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People
Graphics used on this page courtesy
OhanaNet Corporation. All rights reserved.