faced print is reproduced from the Lahaina Historical
Guide with permission from the publisher. Copyright
1998, Honolulu Publishing
Company, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Free copies of the Lahaina Historical Guide are
available throughout Lahaina Town and the Kā`anapali resorts.
The arrival of Roman
Catholic priests in 1846 was not viewed favorably
by other religious denominations. There was a continual
rift between Protestants and Catholics, but with the
support of influential American and French citizens,
the first Catholic church was built on this site in
1856, with a larger building dedicated in 1858. With
the arrival of Portuguese and Filipino laborers, Catholicism
became the largest denomination. The present church
is a replica of the 1858 building.
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People
Graphics used on this page courtesy
OhanaNet Corporation. All rights reserved.