Kamehameha came to
Lahaina in 1802 to plan an attack on Kauai.
During his yearlong stay, he built the "Brick
Palace" to welcome the captains of visiting ships.
The Brick Palace measured 40 feet by 20 feet,
was two stories tall and was partitioned into four
rooms. The land around it was built up with
a stone wall to keep the seawater back and was filled
in with earth to make a broad plateau.
Attached to this
compound was an observation tower and a "long
house" with a thatched roof used extensively
by his sons in later years. The Brick Palace
stood for more than 70 years and was used as a warehouse,
storeroom and meeting house. Unfortunately,
no complete drawings of the building exist.
Next is the Carthaginian
and Old Lahaina Lighthouse.
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People