The Carthaginian is
a replica of a 19th-century brig, typical of the small,
fast freighters that brought the first commerce to
these Islands, and is the only authentically restored
brig in the world. The first Carthaginian was
lost at sea in April 1972 while on the way to Honolulu
for drydock-a keen loss to the community.
A replacement was
finally found in Northern Europe, and a great dream
was realized when the new Carthaginian crossed the
seas with an all-Lahaina crew to her new home post.
The sight of this majestic ship silhouetted
against the sky is a sentimental reminder of Lahaina's
heritage and the romance of the sea.
The Carthaginian features
an exhibit on whales and whaling, with audio-visual
displays, and an original whale boat that was discovered
in Alaska and brought to Lahaina in 1973. The
exhibit is open daily 9am4:30pm.
Old Lahaina Lighthouse is located on the pier next
to the Carthaginian. It was commissioned by
Kamehameha III in 1840 as an aid to navigation for
whalers coming ashore. It is the oldest lighthouse
in the islands and predates those on the U.S. Pacific
Coast. The first structure was nine feet and later
expanded to 26 feet. A whale oil lamp provided
the light and a caretaker was paid $20 a year to keep
the light lit. It was rebuilt in 1905 and the
structure was dedicated by the U.S. Coast Guard in
Next is the Pioneer
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People