faced print is reproduced from the Lahaina Historical
Guide with permission from the publisher. Copyright
1998, Honolulu Publishing
Company, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Free copies of the Lahaina Historical Guide are
available throughout Lahaina Town and the K�`anapali resorts.
"Iron roof house"
was built in the 1830s as a palace for Kamehameha
III; however, he preferred to sleep in a hut nearby,
so the structure was never entirely completed and
fell into disrepair. It was used as a courthouse until
the Kauaula windstorm of 1858 badly damaged it. The
present courthouse was built with materials salvaged
from Hale Piula.
Next is Malu`uluolele
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People
Graphics used on this page courtesy
OhanaNet Corporation. All rights reserved.