In the area of Maluuluolele
Park there was once a pond at the end of a village
called Mokuhinia. It was home to Kihawahine,
the greatest moo (dragon or lizard) on Maui, who was
worshiped by the royal family as a special guardian.
When Kamehameha the
Great conquered Maui, he claimed this sacred spot.
A tiny island in the pond, Mokuula, was home
to Maui chiefs, and several royal family members of
the early 1800s were interred there.
Later Mokuula was
a residence for three Kamehameha kings. References
describe the walkway out to the center of the island
where the young kings Kamehameha II and III kept to
themselves, away from the rigors of court life.
In 1918 the pond was filled in and the island leveled.
More about Moku`ula
and plans for restoration of the fish pond and island
can be found online.
Next is Waine`e
Church, now called Waiola Church.
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People