faced print is reproduced from the Lahaina Historical
Guide with permission from the publisher. Copyright
1998, Honolulu Publishing
Company, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Free copies of the Lahaina Historical Guide are
available throughout Lahaina Town and the K�`anapali resorts.
Hale Pai, the printing
house of Lahainaluna Seminary, was founded by Protestant
missionaries in 1831.
There was no written form of the Hawaiian language
when the missionaries arrived, so to spread the word
of God, a missionary committee devised one. Presses
in Honolulu and here at Hale Pai soon began printing
textbooks and other teaching aids.
The print shop was restored from 1980 to 1982 by
the Lahaina Restoration Foundation. The museum is
Next is the Wo
Hing Temple & Museum, back on Front Street.
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People
Graphics used on this page courtesy
OhanaNet Corporation. All rights reserved.