A great wind from
the Kauaula Valley struck the village of Lahaina in
February 1858, destroying more than 20 buildings including
Hale Piula, the courthouse-palace
of King Kamehameha III. Construction of a new courthouse
was begun the following May, using stones from the
demolished Hale Piula.
The new courthouse
became the center of Maui County. On Dec. 3,
1859, The Polynesian published the following:
"The building contains a custom house, a post
office, a collector's office in which there is a money
vault, an office for the Governor of the island, a
Police Court, a courtroom, and a room in which to
starve the jury into unanimity"
The remnants of the Waterfront
Fort are next.
of Hawaii | Hawaii Photos
| Hawaii's People